Thank you Aedy for bringing this one to Arford Books.
- 1kg chicken, jointed or pieces preferably bone-in
- 2.5tsp Sri Lancan roasted curry powder
- 1tsp cayenne pepper or red chilli powder
- 0.5tsp turmeric
- 2tsp salt
- 1tbs white wine venegar
Marinate for 30 minutes
Saute until translucent. Add
- 1tbs minced garlic
- 1tbs minced ginger
Saute for another two minutes. Add your marinated chicken plus
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 green chillies sliced
Stir and fry for two minutes. Add
- 1 large roma/beef tomato chopped
Let it cook down. Add
- 80ml tomato passata/sauce/puree OR 1tbs tomato paste with 2 tbs water
- 250ml water
Let it come to the boil then cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add
Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and serve with rice, naan or roti.
This is a variation on the better-know goat curry, but pork is easier to source in the UK. There may seem a lot of spices but it creates a rich, deep curry with some heat but not too much. This makes enough for 6 portions. I have provided Instant Pot and conventional hob versions.
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- vegetable oil
Saute the onions gently until translucent.
- 6 cloves of garlic, sliced
Add to the pan and cook for another minute.
- 1 to 1.5kg pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and skin, cubed
- 2 tsp ground allspice
- 3 tbs curry powder
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tbs celery salt
- 1 tbs garlic granules
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 4 spigs thyme, leaves only
Mix all together in the pan and cook briefly. Add
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 Scotch Bonnet chilli, left whole but stabbed with a knife
- Instant Pot – 1 can water; stove top – 1 litre water
Instant pot: cook on Meat for 45 minutes then depressurise naturally. Cooker: simmer on the lowest ring for 2.5 to 3 hours, checking it hasn’t dried out.
Instant pot – when ready, you may find it is still runny and the fat has rendered. Let it settle for a few mintues and scoop or pour the fat away. Mix 0.5tbs cornflower with a dash of water and stir in. Reheat to thicken. You can do this with the stove version if it hasn’t reduced.
Serve with Rice’n’Beans or just rice.