Great for a leftover lamb bone with meat attached – usually the last bit remaining after a roast day and a cold cuts day. Serves 2:
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced thickly
- 1 small swede or turnip, cubed
- 1 parsnip, cubed
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
Put some oil or butter in a deep pan and sweat vegetables gently for about 10 minutes. Add
- Lamb bone and leftovers, about 150g – 200g of meat
- 4 tbs pearl barley
- Water or stock
Add the lamb and cover with water. Season. Simmer for 1 hour. Top up the liquid if it needs it. Pull the meat from the bone and remove the bone. Add
- Handful of peas, green beans or similar green veg.
Simmer another 5 minutes, add some chopped fresh parley and serve in bowls with nice bread.